Call for Session Proposals (Now Closed)
Welcome to Winnipeg!
The 68th CLA National Conference and Trade Show will be held in Winnipeg, MB from Wednesday, May 29 to Saturday, June 1, 2013 at the Winnipeg Convention Centre.
CLA is pleased to invite librarians and other interested parties to propose program submissions for this national event. Proposals for pre-conference sessions, concurrent program sessions and poster presentations are welcome!
Proposals are being solicited on any topic relevant to the Canadian library and information professional community. The conference has no set theme, and there are no defined subject streams – proposals on all topics of professional interest will be considered. The Conference Program Standing Committee would like to encourage proposals which express innovative and creative ways for presenting information to delegates.
A new educational element for this year is “The Learning Lounge” which will consist of short presentations (max. 20 minutes) that focus on very specific topics. We welcome proposals for these sessions from both the library/information and vendor communities. The informal experience is designed to encourage connection, discussion and engagement.
Full- or half-day pre-conferences will be offered on Wednesday 29 May. Proposals must be supported by a CLA Network or Advisory Committee. These sessions are offered to provide concentrated learning opportunities that require more time than available in a concurrent session.
Concurrent program sessions may be presented in any format: panels of speakers, single speakers, discussions, debates, “un-conference” session, interviews – let your imagination guide you! The only restriction is time: you may request a 20 minute (Learning Lounge), 60 minute or 90 minute slot in the schedule.
Poster presentations are an excellent option for presenting a wide range of research of interest to the library community. These presentations take the form of display boards, with presenters available for one-on-one discussion with delegates at a specified time. Again, any topic of broad interest to the library and information profession will be considered.
Please read the following information for specific details on the proposal process. All proposals will be reviewed by the Conference Program Standing Committee. The submission deadline is October 28, 2012.
- All proposals must be submitted using this on-line format
- Submissions may be:
- Pre-conference – half-day or full-day
- Learning Lounge - 20 minutes
- Concurrent session - 60 minutes
- Concurrent session - 90 minutes
- Poster presentation
- Submitters are required to prepare all material and obtain complete information prior to submitting the proposal. Several sections of the electronic submission are mandatory.
- Each submitter must register using an email and password. The proposal can be completed in stages by using this login to add information at different times; but the proposal must be completed before final submission. CLA has implemented an approval process that will occur prior to the proposal being posted to the website.
- Incomplete proposals will not be considered.
- Proposal submitter(s) must provide the name of the session convenor; otherwise, the proposer will be assumed to be the convenor
- Submitters must read and agree to all policies as set forth in this document.
Guidelines & Instructions
Deadline for submission is October 28, 2012
Any individual or group is eligible to submit a proposal for a learning lounge session, concurrent program session or poster presentation. Proposals for pre-conferences must have the support of a CLA Network or Advisory Committee relevant to the topic of the proposal; submitters should secure this support by contacting the appropriate Network moderator or Committee chair.
All proposals are subject to review and approval by the Conference Program Standing Committee.
- Submissions must include complete contact information (mailing address, telephone, email) of each proposer, convenor, speaker, panellist and/or presenter involved in the session or poster presentation.
- Submitters of pre-conferences or concurrent sessions are required to:
- review the guidelines for paid and unpaid speakers
- review eligible fees and expenses for paid speakers and submit a budget
- indicate any audiovisual equipment or other requirements for the session
- indicate any potential sponsor for the session (all sponsorship must be coordinated through the CLA office)
- Submissions must not exceed the space provided for each field
- Proposal descriptions must be organized by: objective, methods, results and conclusions
Learning Lounge sessions and poster presentations are not subject to the above requirements.
(see proposal submission form)
Each pre-conference or concurrent session submission should include the following criteria:
- three things participants will take away from the session
- the target audience
- nature of the subject matter
- current or future issue
- national relevance or application
- local perspective (host city/region) with national relevance
- practical or theoretical or combination
- speaker’s experience (new to CLA conference, previous conference speaker)
Each Learning Lounge session and poster submitter will be directed to complete a shorter form.
All submitters will be notified by December 2012.
Contact Wendy Walton for further information
613.232.9625 ext. 302, firstname.lastname@example.org